Kitchen Sink Wine Blending

Something interesting is happening in the world of wine, albeit quietly with a sure, measured pace.

Negociants like Cameron Hughes, Don Sebastiani & Sons and consumer boutique vignerons like Crushpad are all popularizing a portion of the wine industry that used to be a very quiet corner of the business—creating labels for bulk wine or a quasi-custom crush with high quality markers.

But, there’s a next level over the horizon, and I wonder who will seize the opportunity to marry the bulk wine market with the hardcore enthusiast.

The next level is for a negociant outfit to start aggressively blending and to translate that blending ability to consumer preference so a customer might dictate the percentages of varietals that go into a bottle.

Take for example, a whiskey company: Compass Box Whiskey Company.  In their own words:

Compass Box is a specialist Scotch whisky company. We are devoted to making some of Scotland’s premier whiskies through the art of blending.

We work like fine wine negociants.  We choose individual casks of whiskies from different distilleries that offer complementary sets of flavours.  We carefully blend these casks in small batches to make our proprietary whiskies.

These guys buy barrels, mix up their own blend and then sell it—as ultra-premium whiskey.  I’m not much of a whiskey drinker, but I love this idea.

On the wine side there’s Mayo Family Winery in Glen Ellen.  They have created www.theblendingcellar.com.  The premise is simple enough, a consumer gets to blend his own wines using wines they have aged in French oak for a year—choosing from a couple of Cabs, Merlots, a Cab Franc and a Malbec, you can tweak until you find the right mix for your palate.

An even better bet for this is their blending kit that lets you do this at home.  For $100 bucks you get all six wines, instructions and some equipment and a customer can do their own blending trials in the comfort of their own home.  Once the blend is set, you place your order and your custom wine shows up shortly thereafter.

I Love this!

I think the long-term application is consumer retail.  Can you imagine going into a combo wine shop & blending room?  The store is using the Enomatic for sampling of all kinds of wines and then has a dozen wines on tap that can be trialed and blended and then bottled on site.  The store has its own proprietary blends, ala Compass Box, which it sells, but also has “recipes” for other blends, as well.

Wine, on site sampling and participatory activity—what could be better?  Let the cash registers ring!

Posted in, Free Run: Field Notes From a Wine Life. Permalink | Comments (14) |

Comments

On 09/07, Vinny | Kitchen Design wrote:

I think that going to a wine/ blending room must just be wonderful not only do you get to try out all the wines but get to see how things are blended and how the do the combinations, t5his would really be a huge hit with all wine lovers thats for sure.
I would love to go to something like this

On 09/09, kitchen sinks wrote:

First of all, i would get the British blue next door to provide the entertainment. then i would get the MASSIVE tom from over the road to be the bouncer and i would charge the cats from the neighborhood to enter and enjoy. next i would roll in the obvious profits that this would provide. Unfortunately, catnip is a big problem on the kitty club scene and the bar would probably close down because of the whole “drugs” issue

On 08/11, dantel örnekleri wrote:

Yazı için sağol canım senin site good smile

On 08/19, Viking stove repair wrote:

I want to install a new kitchen sink that has a durable finish, but I don’t want to use stainless steel. What kind of sink will have a finish that will (1) be long lasting, and (2) be resistant to scuff marks from metal pots? I am considering a cast-iron sink with a porcelein finish and will appreciate any comments about this choice, or any other suggestions about other types of sinks

On 09/16, David wrote:

In my opinion,I think that going to a wine/ blending room must just be wonderful not only do you get to try out all the wines but get to see how things are blended and how the do the combinations.My site is about Womens Ture Religion Cargo jeans

On 01/05, Carpet Cleaning Richmond VA wrote:

Good grape has helped me a lot in my home-made wine making.

On 01/12, Tarjetas de visita wrote:

Interesting. And I thought discussions about wine snobs were bad, it seems the prestige and celebratory nature of champagne only.

On 02/01, Carpet Cleaning Raleigh NC wrote:

You bring up so many good points from different angles that I never really thought about wines and wine making before.

On 02/01, Carpet Cleaning Tampa wrote:

You`ve no doubt heard the phrase “everything in moderation.” It`s hard to find anyone that follows this maxim religiously; everyone falls off the wagon now and again, whether it`s eating too much or exercising too little.

On 09/23, cleaning article wrote:

Someone necessarily help to make seriously articles I might state.
That is the first time I frequented your web page and to this point?
I surprised with the analysis you made to make this
actual submit incredible. Great activity!

On 09/23, cleanertimes.tumblr.com wrote:

It is nnot my first time to pay a visit this website, i am browsing this web site
dailly and take good information from here everyday.

On 09/23, commercial bond cleaning wrote:

I have to say that I agree with the information
provided here. As a

professional cleaning consultant I have some knowledge in thyis
area. Nice read - thanks for sharing.

On 10/18, homepage wrote:

I’m not sure exactly why but this weblog
is loading incredibly slow for me. Is anyone else having this issue or is it a problem on my end?
I’ll check back later on and see if the problem still exists.

On 11/15, seo article writing wrote:

What’s Happening i’m new to this, I stumbled upon this I have found It positively helpful and it has helped me out loads. I hope to give a contribution & aid other users like its helped me. Good job.