2008 Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc

Despite the hard time that large wine companies with high production take from wine drinkers-cum-pundits in the wine blogosphere, it is nice to see the estate / fine wine division of Constellation making some meaningful wine with a level of progressiveness in their consumer engagement efforts.

Is it possible to be all things to all people?  Can a winery balance the thin line between art / commerce successfully?

Kim Crawford will have you believing it is possible.

The 2008 Kim Crawford Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc is a fine example of national distribution, professional critical acclaim, and social media engagement, coupled with the most important thing – a darn tasty wine.

It is so tasty, in fact, I spent the better part of last Saturday afternoon driving around Indianapolis looking for it – most stores were out of stock after its second appearance in two years on the Wine Spectator Top 100 wines of the year, garnering 91 points and a #40 ranking on the Top 100.

Note to self.  This is Indiana.  Don’t check every wine shop in town first—go to your corner liquor store.

Despite the lack of quaintness in my purchase, it is not the Top 100 ranking that had originally interested me in Kim Crawford—it was the advertising.

I subscribe to a music magazine called Paste that seems like it is written for me – it focuses on accessible indie rock and arts culture.  It is a national magazine and the November issue had a Kim Crawford ad.

It was noticeable because how often do you see wine advertising in a contemporary youth culture/music magazine that is not Yellowtail?  Hardly ever.

The ad copy says:

At Kim Crawford, we believe in trailblazing.  Whether it’s screw caps, Unoaked Chardonnay or up-and-coming artists, we support unconventional thinking and the courage to break new ground.  We’ve put together the perfect party playlist with some of our favorite new sounds and songs.  Why not download it now?

So, let me get this straight – a large wine company brand, with acclaimed wine from the wine industry critical press, that is advertising in a niche music/culture magazine with a specific web site that offers music downloads and content commissioned from a wine consultant and blogger, Courtney Cochran?  What else can they possible be doing right?  Social media.  Yeah, check there, too.  Kim Crawford has a Facebook page and they also Twitter.

Aside from the full-color, full page ad in the magazine, I hope other wines are taking note of this recipe for success as it should give smaller wineries some inspiration.

In the meantime, I am enjoying a glass of the Kim Crawford listening to Five Star Iris on the Experience Kim Crawford site.

You can see my tasting notes here.

Posted in, Good Grape Wine Reviews. Permalink | Comments (12) |

Comments

On 12/14, Limda B wrote:

FYI: when we had our store, a woman came in from New Zealand who was visiting a friend. She saw that we had carried Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc and she laughed. I asked her what was funny and she said that in New Zealand, the wine is basically held in the same esteem as Sutter Home White Zinfandel. I found that pretty amusing.

On 12/15, Alan Schaefer wrote:

thanks so much for the mention.  we were excited to be a part of the Experience Kin Crawford website as we are a band of wine enthusiasts and foodies smile

Take Care,

Alan

On 12/20, Marty wrote:

I agree with the first comment—KC is a formidable wine, but, yes very Sutter Home.  An enormous seller.  Most in the wine trade believe it is a nice wine but would rather hurl than purchase a bottle, primarily because it’s over-marketed.  Part of the Triumverate of Decent yet Ultimately Uber-Dull White Wines with Acronym-Worthy Names that Everyone wants to Buy: KJVR Chardonnay, SMPG, and KCSB.  Not to be snarky, but when you about 50% of people at a wine shop buying the same things, you can’t, in good mind, ever purchase those products if you want to show that you have a mind of your own.

Interesting marketing ploy they use—I’m sure they’re a great company, but I’d rather have a bottle of Dom. Salvard Cheverny blanc at the same price, widely available, any day.

Although I am dissenting once again—great blog!

Keep on dissenting, Marty!

If we all agreed, life wouldn’t be too interesting would it.

Your point raises an interesting question, though.

Do you think there is almost an anti-advertising backlash in wine?  As in, if it’s familiar and comfortable then it’s not interesting?  Almost the anti-branding?

I sense this, but I think you have a greater sensibility around it given some of the work that you so.

On 03/30, Pes Patch wrote:

Thanks for great article

On 03/30, Jigolo Sitesi wrote:

i sense this, but I think you have a greater sensibility around it given some of the work that you

On 04/20, Pes 2012 Patch wrote:

On 04/30, Vizyon500k wrote:

Very useful information,Thanks !

On 07/18, Eskort wrote:

Ah i love to drink , every night i drink , my head is being beautiful,and then sleep till next day…

On 08/22, monster high games wrote:

nice information.. very heplful guys..

On 03/02, Knight Online Char wrote:

Thank you for sharing , so usefull informations for us.