The Wine Wand isn’t Magic, But it is Pretty Cool!

If you have ever been proven wrong, and taken delight in having your skepticism overcome, then you will appreciate this post about a wine accessory – a device that allegedly aerates wine using natural frequencies.

Um, yeah, I was skeptical, as well.

However, I received a Philip Stein Wine Wand that purports to, according the marketing wordsmiths (excerpted):

When placed into a bottle or glass of red wine, the Wine Wand accelerates the aeration process, allowing the wine to fully develop to its peak flavor in a fraction of the time it would usually take.  Prior to its release, the Philip Stein Wine Wand has already prompted intrigue across the international food, wine, and luxury goods industries ...

… Known for integrating frequency technology into luxury timepieces, Philip Stein has incorporated similar technology into the Wine Wand.  Using permanently embedded natural frequencies, one of them being oxygen, this accessory accelerates the aeration of the wine to its full flavor potential in just minutes.

After receiving counsel from Steve Heimoff and Alice Feiring about influence from pr reps., after my own little imbroglio called RockawayGate, I am, to say the least, not overly inclined to stick my neck out.  Despite this ‘once bitten, twice shy’ mentality, I am going to go ahead and put myself out there to be hit by some more stones.

The Wine Wand is not magic, but you may think it is …

Any device that looks vaguely akin to an oral thermometer that claims to open up the nose of a wine and soften the tannins inside of three minutes, using “natural frequencies” has to be complete rubbish, right?

So I thought, too.

Hit this link to download and open up a PDF of the email exchange I had with Nia, the PR rep for the Wine Wand.

The darn thing is $325 so it is not cheap.  It is being sold at Saks, Neiman Marcus and Fred Segal, stores that I frequent as often as we have lunar eclipses on the fifth Sunday of a month.  For cost reasons alone, I picked it up to use it immediately.

Just the same, I did not go easy in my testing.

On Sunday afternoon, palate fresh, I selected a 2004 Caparone Aglianico - $14 retail - (an undrinkable oak monster unless it is decanted for 24 hours) and a 2004 Trader Joe’s Amarone - $14 retail - that politely suggested on the label that it be decanted for an hour before drinking.

I tried the Wine Wand first with the Caparone.  Immediately uncorking and pouring into two fresh glasses, as per the instructions, I set the glasses more than three feet apart so the frequencies would not hit both of them and I dropped the Wine Wand into one for three minutes.

The difference was startling.  Both glasses were still over-oaked, but the glass that had the Wine Wand was noticeably, demonstrably softer and more appealing.  The glass that acted as the control had mouth-puckering astringency.  The Wine Wand glass was much gentler and could actually be drunk.  The nose, still forbidding, was showing some fruit whereas the untouched glass was all densely wound oak aroma.

The second bottle of wine, the Trader Joe’s Amarone, a flawed wine, with what appeared to be an oak dusting from oak chips on the surface of my pour into both glasses, merited the same Wine Wand treatment.

The Amarone that had the Wine Wand had a greatly expanded nose and the taste was far more expressive.  It is still a crap, flawed wine, but definitely made significantly more enjoyable by the Wine Wand.

At this point, I was kind of freaked out.  It was like watching a magic trick; you do not believe what you are seeing, but darned if it is not believable.

Immediately, I start to think about blogging about this and I realize that my one flaw was I did not do it blind.  Psychologically, I could have been tricked, kind of like a magic trick where I am lulled into the suspension of disbelief.

Not being hasty, last night, I tested it blind with the aid of my wife.  This time I went with a 2004 Winesmith Cabernet Franc -$20 retail -.  Clark Smith, resident technological wine bogeyman, makes Winesmith wine and I knew that this wine was likely micro-oxed, de-alc’ed and God knows what else.  I love a bit of irony, too.  A little bit of “natural frequency” magic with a Clark Smith wine makes me smile in the ultimate inside, wine snob joke.

I pulled the cork and left the room as my wife, a virtual teetoler, did the pouring and the Wine Wand administration.

When I returned a few minutes later, I tasted through both glasses of the Cabernet Franc, the control and the Wine Wand glass; the nose of one glass immediately struck me.  Instead of having to stick your nose in there to get a good whiff, one glass had expansive aroma’s jumping out the glass.  The same glass with the big nose had a much silkier mouth feel and more impressive fruit.

Blindly, I guessed which wine had the Wine Wand in it.  My wife, again, a relative teetoler, with the best palate in the house and wolf-like senses, could tell a marked difference in the two glasses, as well, after telling me I chose correctly.

At this point, I realize this sounds like an infomercial, but I swear, with God as my witness, that this damn thing works and I have absolutely zero, zilch, nada, nothing at stake for saying so.

About the only thing I can tell you is that there is not a whole lot on the Internet about the Wine Wand – some wacky woman that talks like a drunk, British Zsa Zsa Gabor on YouTube doing a demo and a blurb in Oprah magazine.  If I were you, I would send Nia the PR rep. an email (.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)), tell her what a great wine blogger you are and implore her to send you a comped Wine Wand.  I am not giving mine away.

For an untested blog post, see Hip Tastes by Courtney Cochran

Posted in, Good Grape Daily: Pomace & Lees. Permalink | Comments (38) |

Comments

On 11/12, Arthur wrote:

Very through assessment, Jeff. Bravo.

It may work, but at $325, I’m not sold. I suppose I am not as convenience-driven and impatient as others may be.

I’ll double decant and wait two hours before drinking. If my wine won’t benefit from this regimen just yet, I will leer at it through the glass of my wine cellar until it is ready. (Besides, I can get a new 60 bottle scratch-n-dent cellar from the manufacturer for $300-$400).

On 05/19, .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) wrote:

Now the one thing to determine is what are those little rocks in there?  Is it quartz (see: quartz watch crystals and Philip Stein Watches)?  If so, that is quite common in not so far-off places a.k.a. your backyard.  If these small crystals are so good at working that you must place the two test glasses far apart from one another, imagine what a 1 or 2 pound hunk of dirt-covered rock will do sitting right next to your glass!

On 03/16, Travesti wrote:

very successful thanks

On 03/16, Sohbet wrote:

super site teşekurler admin

On 03/16, travesti wrote:

teşekurler admin link için

On 03/22, sohbet wrote:

thanks admin perfect web site

On 05/27, Tom wrote:

not sure what will happen, but
interesting article, thanks

On 07/15, travestiler wrote:

tnakss posted greated

On 08/19, nose smaller wrote:

On 08/29, Nissan Frontier Superchager wrote:

If these small crystals are so good at working that you must place the two test glasses far apart from one another, imagine what a 1 or 2 pound hunk of dirt-covered rock will do sitting right next to your glass!..

On 10/21, Granite cladding wrote:

A little bit of natural frequency magic with a Clark Smith wine makes me smile in the ultimate inside,wine snob joke.

On 10/28, .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) wrote:

I just returned from a cruise in which I purchased the Wine Wand mentioned above.  All I can say is, It’s Amazing!  While it does carry a hefty price tag and I could purchase many bottles of nice wine for what I purchased it for, remember that Philip Stein is not about frugality.  It’s about technology…and status.  That being said, I purchased the bottle sized wine and did the same taste testing.  The difference is amazing.  And I prefer it over using my Venturi for every glass of wine poured.  Kudos on your review by the way!

On 11/09, .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) wrote:

It’s really pretty cool how simple things makes something really special… Costa Blanca Property

On 12/29, Emuriabrava wrote:

It looks so simple with a big impact. Thanks

On 12/29, make nose smaller wrote:

think this change will be great. If anything it will only make it better. I’m sure it will make it much faster also. Thanks for the great article and the information
I

On 01/17, Medical Assistant Jobs wrote:

The wine wand really works awesome. I was so amazed.

On 01/18, Take Out Containers wrote:

I am not personally convinced that the magic wand can do what occurs naturally over a long period of time. Slow and steady is my motto.

On 01/20, Buy Foreclosed Homes wrote:

Wine tasting is one of the things that i would love to do…

On 03/19, travesti wrote:

travesti

On 04/08, ann arbor carpet cleaning wrote:

Pretty cool indeed…

On 04/25, Searchlight Rental Florida wrote:

WOW. I must admit from reading your intro I was a bit skeptical as well. It seemed to me that using something like this was a bit of a sham.

But, after reading your testing results I am pretty intrigued about the possibilities. I guess it pays to keep an open mind about things.

This does indeed seem like a very interesting tool. Even though it is a bit pricey.

On 06/17, Tango Dance wrote:

I agree, this would surely looks and works like an infomercial.

On 12/08, travesti wrote:

href=“http://www.ankaradakitravestiler.com”>Travesti</a>

On 03/26, ankara travestileri wrote:

ankara travestileri

On 03/29, best cases for ipad wrote:

Somehow, this is a guide that needs to be shared.

On 04/10, Travesti wrote:

Travesti ankaradakitravestiler.com Thanks much for this vital

On 04/10, technical content wrote:

Cool, looks they made good recipe for this one, seems to be in perfect wine blend.

On 05/31, .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) wrote:

On 05/31, live online dental webcast wrote:

On 08/23, cebu travels wrote:

I don’t have any idea about wine. But one thing that i know is truly that wine is flavored because of many different fruit that they put there. Thank you for that certain information.

On 01/02, cavalli in vendita wrote:

Did you happen to use photoshop to illustrate this artwork and where did you get the idea for using those colors on your subjects

On 01/18, rushessay.net wrote:

On 07/02, avukat ankara wrote:

smile

On 08/06, ph metre wrote:

The Wine Wand glass was much gentler and could actually be drunk

On 08/18, Danny from Cebu City wrote:

Spending $300 on a wine wand is out of my budget for sure. My business partner however as a black crocodile-embossed leather cased wand he got for Christmas a few years back and swears by it.

On 09/16, bağcılar evden eve nakliyat wrote:

Bağcılar Evden Eve Nakliyat Fiyatları
İstanbul ve çevresi başta olmak üzere, uygun nakliyat fiyatları ile gerçekleştirdiğimiz taşımalarımızda en kaliteli hizmeti sunmaktayız.
Özverili nakliye taşımalarımız sonucu Bağcılar Evden Eve Nakliyat olarak hizmet vermekteyiz.
Bağcılar Nakliyat olarak şehir içi ve şehirler arası evden eve nakliye hizmetlerimiz isteğe bağlı olarak Axa Oyak sigorta güvencesi altındadır.

On 11/05, bursa ajan wrote:

“bursa matbaa, bursa, bursa ofset, matbaaci, osmangazi, nilüfer, küçük sanayi, beşevler, çalı, organize sanayi, Matbaa, kartvizit, katalog, klasör, diplomat zarf, antetli, broşür, el ilanı, afiş, flyer, buklet zarf, torba zarf, posta, cepli dosya, kutu, klasör, sticker, etiket, kağıt çanta, pano, ayaklı pano, tahsilat makbuzu, tediye makbuzu, fatura, irsaliye, sevk, sürekli form, sürekli form fatura, davetiye, bursa, sünnet davetiyesi, düğün davetiyesi, ekonomik davetiye, özle davetiye, tasarım, web sitesi, bursa matbaa, bursa, bursa ofset, matbaaci, osmangazi, nilüfer, küçük sanayi, beşevler, çalı, organize sanayi, Matbaa, kartvizit, katalog, klasör, diplomat zarf, antetli, broşür, el ilanı, afiş, flyer, buklet zarf, torba zarf, posta, cepli dosya, kutu, klasör, sticker, etiket, kağıt çanta, pano, ayaklı pano, tahsilat makbuzu, tediye makbuzu, fatura, irsaliye, sevk, sürekli form, sürekli form fatura, davetiye, bursa, sünnet davetiyesi, düğün davetiyesi, ekonomik davetiye, özle davetiye, tasarım, web sitesi