Stumping ChaCha

What happens when you send 10 wine-related test questions to a mobile-based question service with human guides?

You get a mixed bag of answers.

ChaCha, based in Indianapolis, IN is a human-powered, mobile text based search engine.  Text any question to 242242 and moments later you’ll get an answer texted back to your mobile phone from a (presumably) human guide.

Or, if you’re interested in seeing trending topics you can go to the site and search a topic to see what kinds of questions are being searched from other users.

ChaCha is an interesting service and one that has some utility for those times when you need to settle a (wine) bar bet.

The search engine with trending topics, in particular, is a splash of cold water in the face for anybody that forgets what it’s like to be on the light side of the wine knowledge equation.  Questions like, “Is Burgundy wine a dry wine” dominate.

I decided to test the service out in an attempt to give myself a secret weapon the next time my wine tasting group gets together and a stumper of a question comes up …

Question #1:  Who started the phrase, “spoofulated?”

ChaCha Answer:  While there is controversy about the origin of the word, most feel the term originated (with) Michael Wheeler, a NY wine personality.

Survey Says:  Kind of right.  This link clearly has Harmon Skurnik stepping in and taking credit, however.

Question #2:  Where in the U.S. was the first commercially successful winery?

ChaCha Answer: The first commercially successful winery in the United States, founded in Cincinnati, Ohio in the mid-1830s by Nicholas Longworth

Survey Says: Many people will say that the first commercially successful winery was in Vevay, Indiana around 1807, but Wikipedia lists the same answer given by ChaCha.

Question #3: What does a “hogshead” refer to in wine?

ChaCha Answer: A hogshead is two liquid barrels or 14,653 cubic inches

Survey says: This is correct, I think, and more accurate than not as “hogshead” is technically a volume term

Question #4: Where is the newest U.S. wine appellation?

ChaCha Answer: With regards to wine labels, appellation refers to the place where the grapes are grown

Survey says: They bombed this question and I asked it three different times.  Calistoga was nowhere near the answer for any of the inquiries.

Question #5: Who is the best U.S. wine critic?

ChaCha Answer: Robert Parker is undoubtedly the world’s most influential wine critic, who happens to be an American.  His newsletter, The Wine Advocate, has had an influence on the wine buying habits of serious American consumers

Survey says:  Decanter Magazine may argue this point, but who can argue its inherent truth?  When you search Google for, “who is the best U.S.  wine critic?” eRobertParker.com comes up as the first listing.

Question #6: What does Genesis 9:20 say?

ChaCha Answer: “Noah, a man of the soil, proceeded to plant a vineyard”

Survey says:  Pretty much spot on, depending on which version of the Bible you read.

Question: #7: How many acres of Burger wine grapes are planted in California?

ChaCha Answer: 500 acres of Burger wine grapes are planted (in) California vineyards

Survey says:  Very wrong according to USDA totals, accurate from 2008 – correct answer, as I found it, is 1247 acres.

Question #8: In what city does wine expert Doug Frost live?

ChaCha Answer: Doug Frost is a Kansas City author who writes and lectures about wine, beer and spirits.

Survey says: Correct.

Question #9: What is the Italian translation for, “Celebrate the Good Grape?”

ChaCha Answer: “Celebrate the Good Grape” translates to “Celebrare l’uva buona” in Italian.

Survey Says:  Close, but incorrect according to my translations.  Their translation reads, “Celebrate good grapes.”  If translated correctly it should be, “Celebri la buona uva” for “Celebrate the Good Grape.”

Overall, if you find yourself in a bar (or with your tasting group) kibitzing about the origin of the word “bung” or the purpose of “punts” in wine bottles, you could do worse than using ChaCha, but I wouldn’t make a bold, “bet the Petrus” bottle on the accuracy of the answer.  Still, it’s better than carrying around a nine pound copy of, “The Oxford Companion to Wine.”

Posted in, Good Grape Daily: Pomace & Lees. Permalink | Comments (21) |

Comments

On 01/11, 1WineDude wrote:

Or, you could subscribe to Jancis’ website and get on-line access to the Oxford Companion.

Everbody likes to ChaCha-Cha!

On 01/11, Benito wrote:

Celebri is right if you’re saying “(You) celebrate the good grape”, or would be celebro/celebriamo for I/we celebrate…

Plural good grapes would be le buone uve, and if you wanted to celebrate the aesthetic “goodness” of said grape, you could use bella uva.

Regardless, ChaCha’s translation is mainly wrong for not conjugating the damn verb at all and just using the infinitive.  It sounds like Borat: “To celebrate the grape good!”

Of course, I once screwed up in a conversation and praised the winemaker’s lovely eggs (uovi).  smile

On 01/29, Susie Hindle Kher wrote:

I did my own experiment and posted question #3 about the “hogshead” on LetsPour, our social site for wine lovers. I was curious…given it was 10:20am on a Saturday…if I’d get a response. It took just under an hour (55 min) and I had a response from one of our users:

“It is a lager barrel usually 500 litre than the standard 225 litre…..... We use them at the winery.”

What do you think? Can a social site (with an iPhone app) provide useful answers on the fly as well?

On 06/21, Ryan wrote:

Chacha has definitely answered some trivia and/or betting questions for me. It seems that every Thursday when our firm goes to our local wine bar someone has to text Chacha for an answer of some sort, usually entailing some kind of bet. It can be a great service for times like these.

On 02/06, Gemma Tubbrit wrote:

This site definitely has its appeal with the intriguing angle it provides on the whole search paradigm. I would love to try it out when having breakfast with my friends over a pot of nice tea in our silver tea sets someday, possible posting questions about how different types of tea were discovered.

On 01/31, dui lawyers wrote:

This article indicates you must have a lot of background in this topic. Can you direct me to other articles about this? I will recommend this article to my friends as well.

On 04/17, condoom njc wrote:

Is chacha the same idea as yahoo answers?

On 07/03, Active Life Healing Center wrote:

You should proud to your self for having able to write down some really wonderful tips and hints. Great articles, I think it would be a good asset. Unquestionably been having more things opened

On 07/05, Football News wrote:

wow this good but ,I like your post and good pics may be any peoples not like because defrent mind all poepl

On 09/07, AngelitaMassey24 wrote:

Need to buy resumes? Have no idea where to buy resume paper? Check out Resumes Expert company where you can find resume formats. Our professional resume writers will guarantee you that buying resume can bring job seekers career success!

On 09/10, Maggie30West wrote:

Whenever you think that you won’t manage to present yourself in the good light, get in touch with highly reputable online bureaus that propose to get samples of resume writing.

On 09/15, eye Exercises To improve vision wrote:

Eye ball training is to some extent dubious
and might even promote false hope for ocular illnesses as an example glaucoma plus cataracts.
Double vision, interestingly, is generally improved a lot with ocular techniques.
A challenge like convergence insufficiency or a palsy for the 3rd or fourth cranial nerves, or diplopia may also all give you double vision.
Eye ball exercises help in these cases.

On 11/12, obat herbal penurun tekanan darah tinggi wrote:

eye ball exerche help in a achelegne to win a games, so please accpet my commetngin

On 11/12, obat darah tinggi dan kolesterol wrote:

yes i now some thing what to do right, so please this is my second

On 11/12, toko mukena cantik wrote:

this is my third, the last one, please accept, thans alot, realy help for me

On 11/12, http://goldenkudocasino.com wrote:

Chacha is a n interesting service. I have used it and i’m very happy about their answer.

On 11/12, information wrote:

Hi, i spotted a 3 of your appealing posted posts and needed to ask if you could be intrigued with reciprocal pages? Workforce have weblog about alexis texas buttocks!

On 11/13, toko mukena murah wrote:

ohyes nice article

On 11/13, read more wrote:

its good stuff man

On 11/13, obat tradisional darah tinggi yang aman wrote:

love it

On 11/18, www.rushmyessays.com wrote:

In attendance are two discrete program of stellar cluster to can easily subsist notable from one a different. Unfasten stellar clusters are quite sparsely peopled, and be primarily inhabited in youthful stars. Still, globular clusters areā€¦