Small Talk Beautiful

For the longest time Rosé has been an inexplicable mystery to me as were the people that enjoyed drinking it – and many of these people are my people: wine people.

What is wrong with them, I wondered?

At my kindest, I can call Rosé a dry White Zinfandel, but in terms of something I’d be interested in putting in my mouth, I’d rather host an episode of Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern on a Southeast Asia excursion.

What do other people see in this wine simpleton?

I mean, sales have been going through the roof ...

It’s not that I dislike Rose, it’s just I don’t like it; more of a blasé indictment in the court of uninterested wine opinion, than proactive vitriol – kind of like Brussels sprouts; I’m not on a crusade against Brussels sprouts, I just avoid them if I can.

If Brussels sprouts and artichokes married and had eight kids, I’d still avoid them as surely as I do certain reality television shows.  Your novelty isn’t immediately inclusive of my interests.

Then, I had my Rosé epiphany.

Frankly, given this sudden absolution of Rosé, I’m running out of wine epiphanies.  I’m going to need a new antagonistic foil; man cannot love wine without a doppelganger, maybe sweet Rieslings will be next …

My epiphany came with the 2008 Macari Vineyards Rosé – a lovely and lively New York wine with refreshing zip, I opened it after a surprisingly enjoyable romp with a Chilean Rosé, the 2008 Carmen, a perfect foil for some BBQ ribs I had recently.

No surprise for those that know me, my epiphany is related to first over thinking Rosé as a wine category before resetting and enjoying it at a very base level.

You see, Rose wine is simple, of the moment, for the moment.  Cue Lynard Skynard’s “Simple Man” for the pairing to a summer soundtrack.

The problem is, I’m not really that simple.  I’d rather wade through layers of complexity to prepare myself for the future then to jump into this very moment with an easy certitude.  So it’s no surprise that it took a while to reconcile my feelings around the pink …

When I was in college there was a group of girls, mostly blonde, mostly vivacious, and mostly attractive early in the evening when hope played itself out in five hours increments and totally beautiful late as hope gave way to reality.

This was a group that you wanted to come to parties – they were type of girls that were not going to knock you over with a nuanced dissertation on the news headlines, they weren’t going to break down Chaucer, nor were they the type that you really wanted to take home for Easter, but they almost surely guaranteed that wherever they were at the time was the place you wanted to be as well.  Springtime was their time as the winter doldrums gave way to a short springtime calendar, clothes to match and a march to the end of the year with a joie de vivre that made every weekend seem like imminent chaos held together by the thinnest of strings.

There’s a lot to be said for that.

Rosé is like that for me, and since I’ve wrapped some context around it, I’m now able to enjoy it.

Rose isn’t a thinking man’s drink.  It’s not a ponderous revelation, no.  It is enjoyable, it is refreshing, it is of the moment, it is fun, and it pairs with just about anything you’re eating, ensuring a good time.

Kind of like blondes that like to party.

I do, however, have one slight peeve that I need to note related to Rose – points scoring.  I have resolved myself to understanding and enjoying Rose, in all of its simple glory, but to assign a point’s score to a wine that is intended to be enjoyed within a year of release, on the veranda, in the summer, is like stack ranking a Summer of Saturday’s to see which is the best – foolish, yes, productive, no.

So, now that I know what I’m dealing with, all small talk beautiful, I say bring on the Rosé, summer’s finest companion, the party girl wrapped in pink.

Posted in, News, Notes & Dusty Bottle Items. Permalink | Comments (13) |

Comments

On 07/06, Hardy / Dirty wrote:

Jeff-

RosÚ is where I have the most sporadic buying patterns-  Sure, I always grab a few Tavel and Bandol wines, but then, it is more or less a grab bag—Old World, New World, whatever… I think I buy Belgian beer the same way— I almost always ask for wine monger recs, and just go with the flow.  Rarely am I let way down.

On 07/06, TWG wrote:

I’m one of the people who’ve been contributing to the boost in rose sales recently.  Over the past few months I’ve tasted many wonderful roses, most from Provance and an interesting Clairet rose from Bordeaux. The standout for me was the Gourgonnier—I pity those who haven’t had it wink

On 07/06, .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) wrote:

I hate to raise awareness that conflicts with my own self interests, BUT, there are fantastic complex rosÚs from France. There’s also a few from Italy and Spain. I mean serious wines, that can even age. Top pinot noirs from Marsannay and Sancerre, the finest Cab francs from Chinon.
I’ve been enjoying these for years and aging a few for fun along the way.
Sure most rosÚ is a summer refresher but how the special good ones got no respect puzzles me.

On 07/07, Dylan wrote:

Jeff, great post. Should it occur, I’ll be sure to credit the metaphor in your post as the impetus for the new line of “dumb RosÚ” jokes roaming about the internet.

On 07/08, 1WineDude wrote:

I like to think.

I also like partying with blonds.

On 10/02, reithose herren wrote:

Clothing at times is worn as protection from specific environmental hazards, such as insects, noxious chemicals, weapons, and contact with abrasive substances. Conversely, clothing may protect the environment from the clothing wearer, as with doctors wearing medical scrubs.

On 11/22, sun protective wrote:

In some cases, people wear an item of clothing until it falls apart. Cleaning leather presents difficulties, and bark cloth (tapa) cannot be washed without dissolving it. Owners may patch tears and rips, and brush off surface dirt, but old leather and bark clothing always look old.

On 05/04, Cruiseline tuxedos wrote:

Whenever we think about wedding dresses, we automatically think of a warm, summer’s day, with a crisp, wafting white dress to match. However, there is a growing trend towards winter weddings. Winter wedding dresses may not be pure white and are often the preferred choice for second time brides.

On 08/02, Brampton limousine wrote:

Limo rental services are usually never a problem, but it’s always recommended to call a limo rental service provider ahead of time just to make sure. A reservation will make your rental guaranteed, which is one less hassle tourists and travelers will need to worry about. The last thing someone wants to worry about when visiting Toronto is how they are going to get around.

On 09/15, milton storage wrote:

Champage is a carbonated beverage and builds pressure if contained. Therefore, it would make sense that a champage bottle would be thicker than a wine bottle.

On 09/19, converting youtube to mp3 wrote:

I recently read in a book that a pear could be contained in a wine bottle and I am curious to find out if anyone who knows how this puzzle works. If you do, share with me the mystery to solve this puzzle.

On 12/12, CMS development services wrote:

Wine bottle chillers enhance the experience of sampling different varieties. Vintners have exacting standards in creating their products. Now, those who enjoy them can have equal control over storage and serving.

On 05/16, heating and cooling indianapolis wrote:

those were really a great talk then and that’s what I want to do now i need someone to talk to.