2010 Best of Wine Online Awards Pt. I

In December of last year, I wrote a two-part story (here and here) highlighting examples from the online wine scene that I thought were the “best of” their niche for the year.  It was a well-received series of posts and I am continuing this year with a somewhat broader scope encompassing a perspective not limited to just the wine blogging scene.

Why publish early in November, just moments after Halloween, marking entry into the end of the year?  Hmm … good question.  I think it is because I’ve been two months ahead all year.  2009 was such a challenging and difficult year that I wiped the mental slate clean in November of last year, so I’ve mentally been in 2010 for 12 months already.

On the other hand, perhaps I have been spurred into creating mental order because I was recently voted THE best wine blog by the folks at the web site, “Guide to Culinary Schools”—a list that clearly indicates some kind of disruption in “The Force.” The rest of the top five, out of 50 wine blog listings, includes Gary Vaynerchuk, Alice Feiring, Eric Asimov, and Alder Yarrow.  Yeah, I also laughed at the notion of being numero uno.  As the Latin proverb goes, “De gustibus non est disputandum”—there is no accounting for taste.

What follows here is an opinion-heavy perspective on, “The good stuff” for 2010, and, mercifully, I am not including myself.

Large Winery of the Year:  Bogle Wines

In 2010, consumers, still reeling from the economic malaise of the last two years, love a wine brand that reliably delivers at a reasonable price across a broad spectrum of varietals.  Found nationwide, but staying slightly above the supermarket fray, Bogle delivers high quality and varietally correct wines from Riesling to Petite Sirah and most are under $12 a bottle while NOT tasting confected as so many supermarket wines do.  The Bogle Phantom, the most expensive table wine they offer at around $18 a bottle, competes on quality against wines at twice the cost.

In addition, Bogle is my default recommendation for wine-interested friends who need a “woobie” comfort brand to look for at the store.

Kudos to the folks at Bogle for for consistently over-delivering on value while not compromising on quality, all at a good price – a winning wine recipe for 2010 and for years to come…

Medium-size Winery of the Year: LIOCO

LIOCO was winner of the 2009 Winery of the Year Award from Wine & Spirits magazine, a prescient decision from Joshua Greene and team and more prestigious than my notice here.  However, I note LIOCO for good, duplicative reason …

To me, LIOCO represents the “natural” wine movement domestically, a movement that has “earned its spurs” this year in wine wonk discourse.  In addition, LIOCO also represent a movement that I call “Nü California” – fruit forward wines with an old world sensibility.  LIOCO’s chards are generally vineyard-designate, unoaked, mostly fermented with ambient yeasts and they are unfined and unfiltered.  Fantastic wines.  Their Pinot’s are likewise perfect – fruit forward, alive, and vital with just a kiss of oak for structure.

All of their wines are offered at a fair price for the quality in the bottle and all of them offer a memorable and compelling lip-smacking quality.  To drink LIOCO is to feel a rush of exhilaration similar to your first kiss in that movie theatre years ago.  Seriously.

Small Winery of the Year: Kimmel Vineyards

The winner of the Small Winery of the Year Award goes to Jim Kimmel and family from Kimmel Vineyards.  Five hundred and fifty six cases across two varietals – Chardonnay and Merlot—constitutes small (micro?) production in my book.

The reason I have selected Kimmel Vineyards is not because of their wine, which is very good, their Chardonnay, in particular, being an exemplar of what a restrained, but oaked Chardonnay can be in California.  However, more importantly, Kimmel Vineyards is truly a family operation with all of the positives and negatives that come with being a small business – the struggles to sell grapes, heck, the struggle to sell wine, period—the twists, and turns of being a vineyard owner and a small vintner.  Jim Kimmel and family have experienced the gamut of highs and lows in the last two years.

A good guy, Jim Kimmel and Kimmel Vineyards are people worth highlighting and worth rooting for in the sometimes schizophrenic wine business.

Wine of the Year: 2007 Continuum

I contemplated selecting the 2006 Dry Riesling from Anthony Road winery from the Finger Lakes, almost the polar opposite of the 2007 Continuum from Tim Mondavi’s venture, Continuum Estate.  The deciding factor had little to do with the notion of a small NY winery versus a renowned winemaker from Napa, and had everything to do with the wine.

The Anthony Road was electrifying, but the Continuum is the single best thing that I’ve put in my mouth all year, a wine that I have a distinct taste memory for and a wine that I scored a 95.  I don’t review many wines on this site – for good reason, there’s too much grade inflation in wine rankings and many dole out 90s like first grade teachers giving smiley faces on homework assignments.  Yet, in hindsight, I might have graded this one a little too tough at the time.  It’s surely a 95, and perhaps higher.  It’s a wine that’s rich and decadent, yet finely wrought and obviously built for the long haul.

As compared to other so-called “cult” wines in Cabernet, Continuum is a steal at $140 SRP (and found for less online).  In different economic times, the wait list for Continuum would have stretched out til 2013.  Count your blessings while you can …

In part II of the 2010 Best of Wine Online Awards, I’ll cover people to watch, trends, apps, books, and more …

Posted in, It Seems to Me .... Permalink | Comments (35) |

Comments

On 11/02, 1winedude wrote:

Hot damn, that Continuum 07 kicks all kinds of ass; nice choice.

Bogle is an amazing performer, and like you, it is my go-to recommendation for people needing to start somewhere.

#1 on Guide to Culinary Schools?

What am I not understanding with that one and why didn’t you guide me to the right school when I needed guidance???

On 11/02, .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) wrote:

So glad you liked the 2007.
That Anthony Road is also pretty amazing!
Really they should both be served for the perfect meal.
Riesling to open and Continuum to close;
like Lincecum for the first innings before you close the Series with Wilson!
Go Giants!

On 11/05, Hardy wrote:

Thanks for the shout out and kind words for LIOCO!

On 12/06, pre algebra wrote:

Don’t forget to put copies of your articles in the website you are promoting as well. Many business websites have dedicated sections where articles are placed for reference purposes. Some websites even use blog platforms to make it easy to post new articles. Keep making some quality articles using these work from home ideas and you should receive more traffic from the search engines.

On 05/31, traumland paris wrote:

Nice, congratualations to the winners

On 06/19, Life Insurance Quotes Ontario wrote:

One of the things that you can do to lower the rate of your premium is to make your home unfriendly to burglars. And in order for you to do so, you may need to install various devices such as burglar alarms, motion sensors, deadlock and window bolts, and a whole lot more.

On 06/30, Hochzeit Schloss Binningen wrote:

get it priced first. then you can make a more secure decision. but in my opinion, i like cheaper wines more anyways, they say that your taste really has to develop to enjoy a fine wine. So if you don’t need the money and you truly enjoy the taste of fines wine more then bargain $20 bottles, then drink it.

On 07/04, Reputation Management wrote:

How do blogs help in online reputation management?

On 07/15, bali travel guides wrote:

I’m wanting to do online courses for computer science. I need a laptop to come with the course since I don’t have one. Is there any online schools that offer a laptop with their courses?

On 07/19, iPhonerelease wrote:

A big key to running a successful business is staying organised. It helps save time and being efficient can help your business save money. Your BlackBerry can help keep you organised and by being able to store all your information in the one device you will save time.

On 07/22, Stellenangebote Basel wrote:

This is for 2 reasons: many newly married couples leave for their honeymoons directly after the wedding and don’t want to be bothered with opening or carrying gifts out of the reception. Also, weddings are expensive and most couples budget based on the logic that on average, each person gives $50. If you’re a couple, you should be giving $100. Yes, times are tough but my god - a cheap bottle of wine? That (in my opinion) is not a proper wedding gift and could be looked upon as rude and cheap. If you are trying to be creative knowing that they truly love wine, perhaps you can give them a gift certificate to a nice wine tasting seminar at a local vineyard (of $100 value)...but I think that would be better suited for a birthday/anniversary gift.

On 07/23, Desi Directory wrote:

long story short I’ve been royally screwed over by the local phone company monopoly Yellow Pages. 6 months into this year I found out they had changed my phone number (sort of disconnected) from the previous year. This cost me a sharp decrease of about 50% gross profit. I stopped paying them as I had no money! Despite several complaints, they have offerred nothing but collections companies in return.

On 08/02, iphone releases wrote:

iPhone screen protectors do not hinder touchscreen capabilities. So, using them will not adversely effect an iPhone’s usability.

On 08/28, website design wrote:

you guide me to the right school when I needed guidance???  I not understanding with that one and why didn’t

On 08/30, drupal hosting wrote:

“De gustibus non est disputandum”—there is no accounting for taste. the notion of being numero uno.  As the Latin proverb goes,

On 09/01, gout remedies wrote:

On 09/02, .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) wrote:

the mental slate clean in November of last year, so I’ve mentally been in 2010 for 12 months already. medical billing and coding

On 09/02, .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) wrote:

the mental slate clean in November of last year, so I’ve mentally been in 2010 for 12 months already.medical billing and coding classes

On 09/02, .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) wrote:

As the Latin proverb goes, “De gustibus non est disputandum”—there is no accounting for taste.medical billing and coding programs

On 09/04, Stellenangebote Basel wrote:

All you need to do is upload your CV with them and check current vacancies regularly to see if any job that are suitable for yourself. You can create an account with one of them and browse for vacancies.

On 09/10, smartphone wrote:

The browser for the Blackberry Torch is also a winner. It features super fast browsing and page loading speeds, powered by Blackberry browser and HTML5 support for a smooth cruise over the Internet. You can make this sleek, handsome and professional smartphone your ultimate power device where you can access your social universe, play games, organize your business, and stay connected 24/7 on the Internet.

On 09/12, .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) wrote:

I also laughed at the notion of being numero uno.bluehost coupon  As the Latin proverb goes, “De gustibus non est disputandum”—there is no accounting for taste.

On 10/17, Bankruptcy Canada wrote:

If you love the sound of a wine bottle being opened then you may want to familiarize yourself with the wine bottle opener and learn how you can do it right every time. There are a plethora of wine bottle openers out there, each proclaiming to be able to open wine bottles with ease.

On 10/27, muay thai training in thailand wrote:

In Thailand where Muay Thai originated from, disciples of the fighting style begin their fighting careers as early as the age of eight years of age.

On 10/28, iPhone wrote:

There are genre specific music awards, general awards, and online awards. Here is a look at an Internet radio awards and some other music awards.

On 11/04, Best SUVs wrote:

Toyota has been producing cars since long. It exists since 1937. It is a major manufacturer of automobiles and is into sales too. The famous inventions of Toyota are Camry, Prado, Innova, Fortuner, Land Cruiser and Corolla. They have many SUVs to choose from many. SUVs match up to sport standards with their additional utilities.

On 11/18, Reputation Management wrote:

Creating a mental picture of the shot you are about to perform is the most powerful way to gain confidence, and insure a solid attempt. The mental game of golf is all about confidence, and relaxation. Nobody can make a solid putt without being relaxed, and confident. When it comes to picturing the putt, you want to picture, in as much detail as possible, the entire putt. From the time you begin your stroke, until the ball falls in the hole. I cannot stress how important this is for putting, and the entire mental game of golf. If you can work this into your pre-putt routine, this alone will lower your score guaranteed.

On 01/03, buy wartrol wrote:

Informative and fresh, unusual for me and also for my friends!!

On 01/19, hemorrhoids wrote:

One of the greatest thing which I like in this blog is the way of sharing some of the useful and usual facts

On 01/23, website design new york wrote:

In order to get flawless website design services, you can consider looking for those companies which have adept web designers and developers. You can look for some web-based companies who have gained remarkable name in the market.

On 01/26, Balloon Printing wrote:

I also laughed at the notion of being numero uno.Balloon PrintingAs the Latin proverb goes, “De gustibus non est disputandum”—there is no accounting for taste.

On 02/25, Online Published Arrests wrote:

Since the admin of this website is functioning, no hesitation extremely rapidly it will be famous on account of its feature contents.

On 05/12, payday Canada wrote:

llefsdjl payday Canada 9994 same day loan BbMxW personal loans 7115

On 07/23, travel insurance canada wrote:

I have never really bought or searched for wines online before, because of this article i will certainly do so